Advocacy is at the core of our PTA mission to make every child’s potential a reality. By engaging and educating members on important issues at the local, state and national level, our PTA becomes an important voice in making decisions that impact Hillsmere families.
Looking for AACPS and County Official contact info? Just scroll down the page.
AACPS approved the recommendation to build a new building, on the land at the back of our school, which will allow students to remain in the current building with minimal distraction during construction! Next step – ensure the county budget includes the appropriate funding to move forward with construction.
More info on the County Budget and links to virtual meetings can be found at https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-council/fy-21-budget/index.html
Other Advocacy Issues
- AACPS Transportation
- More Teachers, More Counselors, More Special Ed teachers/support staff
- School Start Times
- Lead testing: Info on the lead testing can be found at https://www.aacps.org/watertestresults.
General Advocacy Actions and Contacts
NOTE: All BOARD OF EDUCATION AND COUNTY COUNCIL MEETINGS ARE VIRTUAL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Attend Board of Education meetings
Sign up to speak! Does your child have something to say? Bring them too!
Remember, public comments are limited to three minutes each.
First and Third Wednesdays of most months
(a block away from Annapolis High School)
Carol S. Parham Building
2644 Riva Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
2020 -2021 Board of Education Meetings
- Workshop: Thursday, September 10 – 6:00 pm FY 2022 CIP & Capital Budget Public Hearing/Public Session
- Wednesday, September 16 – 10:00 am FY 2022 CIP & Capital Budget
- Wednesday, October 7 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, October 21 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, November 4 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, November 18 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, December 2 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, December 16 – 7:00 pm FY 2022 Operating & Capital Budget Recommendation- Information Item
- Public Hearing – Budget Tuesday, January 5 – 6:30 pm Old Mill High School
- Wednesday, January 6 – 10:00 am
- Public Hearing – Budget Thursday, January 7 – 6:30 pm Parham Building – Riva Road
- Workshop – Budget Tuesday, January 19 – 6:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 20 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 3 – 10:00 am
- Tuesday, February 16 – TBD. FY 2022 Operating & Capital Budget Recommendation – Approval
- Thursday, February 18 – TBD FY 2022 Operating & Capital Budget Approval as Amended (as needed)
- Wednesday, March 3 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, March 17 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 7 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, April 21 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 5 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, May 19 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 2 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, June 16 – 7:00 pm ** FY 2022 Operating & Capital Budget Recommendation – Adoption
AACPS Board of Education Members (Additional info can be found here)
Email to all Board Members: Boardoffice@aacps.org
- Michelle Corkadel (President) firstname.lastname@example.org 410-507-9204
- Melissa Ellis (Vice President) email@example.com 410-533-7940
- Candace C.W. Antwine firstname.lastname@example.org 443-510-4640
- Terry Gilleland email@example.com 410-987-3039
- Eric Grannon firstname.lastname@example.org 410-570-0361
- Julie Hummer email@example.com 410-693-7458
- Robert (Bob) Leib firstname.lastname@example.org 443-534-5766
- Dana Schallheim email@example.com 443-534-2660
Drake Smith firstname.lastname@example.org 443-603-7754
- Superintendent: Dr. George Arlotto email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regional Assistant Superintendent: Jolyn Davis 410-626-9747/9748 email@example.com
Annapolis Education Commission
Anne Arundel County Executive
- Steuart Pittman (410) 222-1821 https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-executive/contact-us/index.html
- Constituent Services: https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-executive/constituent-services/
Anne Arundel County Council
County Council Members Phone: (410) 222-1401 or Fax: (410) 222-1755
- Lisa D. B. Rodvien (our County Council Member) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah F. Lacey (Vice Chairman) email@example.com
- Allison M. Pickard (Chairman) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nathan Volke email@example.com
- Andrew Pruski firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amanda Fiedler email@example.com
- Jessica Haire Jessica.Haire@aacounty.org
Additional Council member info can be found at https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-council/councilmembers/index.html
Budget Adoption Process
Superintendent submits recommended Operating & Capital Budgets to the Board of Education.
The Board of Education reviews the budget as recommended by the Superintendent. The Board may recommend the budget as it stands, reduce or expand it and submit to the County Executive.
The County Executive reviews the budget as recommended by the Board of Education. The County Executive may approve the budget as it stands, reduce it, or adjust funds within specified categories and submit to the County Council.
The County Council has 45 days to review the County Executive’s proposed budget. The Council may approve the budget as it stands, reduce it or restore funds cut by the County Executive. The County Council’s approved budget is then provided to the Board of Education.
The Board of Education adopts final budget.