Advocacy is at the core of our PTA mission to make every child’s potential a reality. By engaging and educating members on important issues at the local, state and national level, our PTA becomes an important voice in making decisions that impact Hillsmere families.
Looking for AACPS and County Official contact info? Just scroll down the page.
AACPS approved the recommendation to build a new building, on the land at the back of our school, which will allow students to remain in the current building with minimal distraction during construction! Next step – ensure the county budget includes the appropriate funding to move forward with construction.
- January 7th 6:30pm – AACPS Budget Hearing at Old Mill High School (opportunity to advocate for Hillsmere’s funding along with other critical AACPS resources)
- January 9th 6:30pm – Budget Hearing at Board Headquarters
- January 14 6:00pm – Budget Workshop at Board Headquarters (no public comment)
- February 19th 7:00pm– Board of Education meeting: The Board will vote to approve the Proposed FY2021 Budget (Feb 20th is an optional second meeting if the 19th runs long).
- March 1st – AACPS submits its proposed budget to the County Executive
Can’t make the above dates? Come to the following Board of Education meetings and testify during public comment.
- January 8th 10:00am
- Jamiary 22 7:00pm
- February 5th 10:00:am
(County Council dates will be posted in the new year)
WHAT CAN YOU DO? Come to the meetings! Wear Hillsmere spirit wear – or wear black. Provide public comment (you can sign up in person before the meeting, sign up online at https://www.aacps.org/boardtestimony or just decide to talk when they ask for public comment on THIS AGENDA ITEM. Remember all public comment is limited to 3 minutes. (People of all ages are allowed to speak out) Can’t make a meeting in person? Email the Board beforehand! Contact info is below.
Other Advocacy Issues
- AACPS Transportation
- More Teachers, More Counselors, More Special Ed teachers/support staff
- Lead testing: Info on the lead testing can be found at https://www.aacps.org/watertestresults.
General Advocacy Actions and Contacts
Attend Board of Education meetings
Sign up to speak! Does your child have something to say? Bring them too! Remember, public comments are limited to three minutes each.
First and Third Wednesdays of most months
(a block away from Annapolis High School)
Carol S. Parham Building
2644 Riva Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
Remaining 2019-2020 Board of Education Meetings
- Tuesday, January 7 – 6:30 pm Old Mill HS Budget Hearing
- Wednesday, January 8 – 10:00 am
- Thursday, January 9 – 6:30 pm Parham Building – Riva Road Budget Hearing
- Tuesday, January 14 – 6:00 pm Budget Workshop
- Wednesday, January 22 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 5 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, February 19 – 7:00 pm ** FY 2021 Operating & Capital Budget Recommendation – Approval
- Thursday, February 20 – 7:00 pm ** FY 2021 Operating & Capital Budget Approval as Amended (as needed)
- Wednesday, March 4 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, March 18 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 1 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, April 15 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 6 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, May 20 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 3 – 10:00 am
- Wednesday, June 17 – 7:00 pm ** FY 2021 Operating & Capital Budget Recommendation – Adoption
AACPS Board of Education Members (Additional info can be found here)
Email to all Board Members: Boardoffice@aacps.org
- Michelle Corkadel (President) email@example.com 410-507-9204
- Melissa Ellis (Vice President) firstname.lastname@example.org 410-533-7940
- Rida Alvi email@example.com 443-603-7754
- Candace C.W. Antwine firstname.lastname@example.org 443-510-4640
- Terry Gilleland email@example.com 410-987-3039
- Eric Grannon firstname.lastname@example.org 410-570-0361
- Julie Hummer email@example.com 410-693-7458
- Robert (Bob) Leib firstname.lastname@example.org 443-534-5766
- Dana Schallheim email@example.com 443-534-2660
- Superintendent: Dr. George Arlotto firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Regional Assistant Superintendent: Jolyn Davis 410-626-9747/9748 firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Arundel County Executive
- Steuart Pittman (410) 222-1821 https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-executive/contact-us/index.html
- James Kitchin (Constituent Services) email@example.com (410) 222-1785
- Jenese Jones (Constituent Services) firstname.lastname@example.org (410) 222-1785
Anne Arundel County Council
County Council Members Phone: (410) 222-1401 or Fax: (410) 222-1755
- Lisa D. B. Rodvien (our County Council Member) email@example.com
- Sarah F. Lacey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allison M. Pickard (Vice Chairman) email@example.com
- Nathan Volke firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew Pruski (Chairman) email@example.com
- Amanda Fiedler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Haire Jessica.Haire@aacounty.org
Additional Council member info can be found at https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-council/councilmembers/index.html
Budget Adoption Process
Superintendent submits recommended Operating & Capital Budgets to the Board of Education.
The Board of Education reviews the budget as recommended by the Superintendent. The Board may recommend the budget as it stands, reduce or expand it and submit to the County Executive.
The County Executive reviews the budget as recommended by the Board of Education. The County Executive may approve the budget as it stands, reduce it, or adjust funds within specified categories and submit to the County Council.
The County Council has 45 days to review the County Executive’s proposed budget. The Council may approve the budget as it stands, reduce it or restore funds cut by the County Executive. The County Council’s approved budget is then provided to the Board of Education.
The Board of Education adopts final budget.