Advocacy is at the core of our PTA mission to make every child’s potential a reality. By engaging and educating members on important issues at the local, state and national level, our PTA becomes an important voice in making decisions that impact Hillsmere families.
Current Advocacy Issues
Save Our Teachers! Support the Proposed School Budget!
UPDATES: NEW INFORMATION FLYER FOR HILLSMERE ADVOCACY and AACPS’s Impact of County Executive’s FY2019 Budget Proposals on AACPS
At the April PTA Meeting, we were notified that Hillsmere will be losing two more teachers in 2018-2019 if the projected attendance numbers and current School Budget stay the same.
What we know (if the projected student population and budget stay as is):
- Two teachers are slated to leave.
- Hillsmere will only have TWO teachers for 5th grade and TWO teachers for 1st grade.
- 5th grade classes would be 30 students each.
We do not know how many students we actually will have in the fall (including how many will return from Monarch).
We also do not know what the final County school budget will be – and that is where YOU can make a difference. If the County Council includes the Board of Education’s proposed budget, all of this can change
Key issues to advocate for in support of the proposed school budget:
- KEEP HILLSMERE’S TEACHERS NOW
- MORE TEACHERS! MORE TEACHERS! MORE TEACHERS! Keep in all the new teacher hires included in the proposed budget (106 proposed to maintain current class sizes with the increases in enrollment, and 45 more proposed to help reduce the class sizes)
- Fair Pay for the Teachers! Keep in the pay increases included in the proposed budget.
- More School Counselors, Psychologists, and Social Workers
- More Special Ed teachers and support staff
- More English Language Acquisition teachers
- Keep the Triple E funding for the Annapolis cluster in the budget (https://www.aacps.org/triplee)
WHAT YOU CAN DO IMMEDIATELY
Attend the Board of Education meeting May 2nd at 10:00 am or May 16th at 7:00 pm
- Sign up to speak! We would like 4 or 5 people with a similar message to save our teachers at Hillsmere. Remember, public comments are limited to three minutes each.
- Does your child have something to say? Bring them to the May 16th meeting and sign them up to speak during public comments.
- Come and stand in support of those speaking.
- Agendas for the meetings are posted at https://www.boarddocs.com/mabe/aacps/Board.nsf/Public
Attend the County Council Budget Meetings.
- May 14th “Proposed BOE and General County Budget FY 2019 – Public Hearing”
7:00pm – 9:00pm @ North County High School 10 East 1st Ave Glen Burnie, MD
- HILLSMERE PTA IS PROVIDING BUS TRANSPORTATION TO THE MEETING: The bus will leave the Hillsmere Elementary school Parking Lot at 5:45 and Robinwood at 6:00. Wear Hillsmere colors (Black and Gold)! Not everyone needs to speak at the meeting – but the larger the crowd from Hillsmere, the louder our “voice” will be.
- Why the May 14th meeting? It will have less turnout which means we get heard more! The Superintendent will also be in attendance.
- May 10th “Proposed BOE and General County Budget FY 2019 – Public Hearing”
7:00pm – 9:00pm @ 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis, Maryland, 21401
- Same forum as the May 14th meeting
- We encourage everyone to come to the May 14th meeting, but if you cannot do so, please consider providing public comment at this meeting.
Reach out to County Executive Schuh who released his budget on May 1st!
Contact County Council Members so they can add in additional parts of the education budget that Mr, Schuh left out!
- Steve Schuh firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amalie Brandenburg (Education Officer) email@example.com; (410) 222-1885
- Pat Daly (Constituent Services) firstname.lastname@example.org; (410) 222-1183
County Council Members Phone: (410) 222-1401 or Fax: (410) 222-1755
- Chris Trumbauer (our County Council Member) email@example.com
- Peter Smith firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Grasso (Chairman) email@example.com
- Derek Fink firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew Pruski email@example.com
- Michael Peroutka firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jerry Walker (Vice Chairman) email@example.com
Additional Council member info can be found at http://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-council/councilmembers/
- A template letter advocating for the full proposed school budget can be found here
- AACPS Response to County Executive’s budget: Impact of County Executive’s FY2019 Budget Proposals on AACPS
- County Executive’s FY2019 Proposed Operating Budget compared to Board of Education request
- The Board of Education’s complete 2019 proposed budget can be found here, (Details on the value of each line item start on page 341. Check out pages 387 and 389 for details on classroom teacher increases)
- Board of Education Budget Process can be found at https://www.aacps.org/domain/335