Advocacy is at the core of our PTA mission to make every child’s potential a reality. By engaging and educating members on important issues at the local, state and national level, our PTA becomes an important voice in making decisions that impact Hillsmere families.
Looking for AACPS and County Official contact info? Just scroll down the page.
AACPS approved the recommendation to build a new building, on the land at the back of our school, which will allow students to remain in the current building with minimal distraction during construction! Next step – ensure the county budget includes the appropriate funding to move forward with construction.
- June 9th 10:00am County Council amends FY2021 Budget
- June 12th 9:00am County Council votes on FY2022 Budget Legislation
More info on the County Budget and links to virtual meetings can be found at https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-council/fy-21-budget/index.html
Other Advocacy Issues
- AACPS Transportation
- More Teachers, More Counselors, More Special Ed teachers/support staff
- School Start Times
- Lead testing: Info on the lead testing can be found at https://www.aacps.org/watertestresults.
General Advocacy Actions and Contacts
NOTE: All BOARD OF EDUCATION AND COUNTY COUNCIL MEETINGS ARE VIRTUAL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Attend Board of Education meetings
Sign up to speak! Does your child have something to say? Bring them too!
Remember, public comments are limited to three minutes each.
First and Third Wednesdays of most months
(a block away from Annapolis High School)
Carol S. Parham Building
2644 Riva Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
Remaining 2019-2020 Board of Education Meetings
- Wednesday, June 17 – 7:00 pm ** FY 2021 Operating & Capital Budget Recommendation – Adoption
AACPS Board of Education Members (Additional info can be found here)
Email to all Board Members: Boardoffice@aacps.org
- Michelle Corkadel (President) email@example.com 410-507-9204
- Melissa Ellis (Vice President) firstname.lastname@example.org 410-533-7940
- Candace C.W. Antwine email@example.com 443-510-4640
- Terry Gilleland firstname.lastname@example.org 410-987-3039
- Eric Grannon email@example.com 410-570-0361
- Julie Hummer firstname.lastname@example.org 410-693-7458
- Robert (Bob) Leib email@example.com 443-534-5766
- Dana Schallheim firstname.lastname@example.org 443-534-2660
Drake Smith email@example.com 443-603-7754
- Superintendent: Dr. George Arlotto firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Regional Assistant Superintendent: Jolyn Davis 410-626-9747/9748 firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Arundel County Executive
- Steuart Pittman (410) 222-1821 https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-executive/contact-us/index.html
- Constituent Services: https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-executive/constituent-services/
Anne Arundel County Council
County Council Members Phone: (410) 222-1401 or Fax: (410) 222-1755
- Lisa D. B. Rodvien (our County Council Member) email@example.com
- Sarah F. Lacey (Vice Chairman) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allison M. Pickard (Chairman) email@example.com
- Nathan Volke firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew Pruski email@example.com
- Amanda Fiedler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Haire Jessica.Haire@aacounty.org
Additional Council member info can be found at https://www.aacounty.org/departments/county-council/councilmembers/index.html
Budget Adoption Process
Superintendent submits recommended Operating & Capital Budgets to the Board of Education.
The Board of Education reviews the budget as recommended by the Superintendent. The Board may recommend the budget as it stands, reduce or expand it and submit to the County Executive.
The County Executive reviews the budget as recommended by the Board of Education. The County Executive may approve the budget as it stands, reduce it, or adjust funds within specified categories and submit to the County Council.
The County Council has 45 days to review the County Executive’s proposed budget. The Council may approve the budget as it stands, reduce it or restore funds cut by the County Executive. The County Council’s approved budget is then provided to the Board of Education.
The Board of Education adopts final budget.