Volunteer will work directly with the classroom teacher to communicate classroom news to parents. The time commitment varies throughout the year, depending on the activities, but requires at least a weekly presence in the classroom, as well as being available to the teacher.
- Coordinate with teacher and Grade group leader to plan holiday parties for students, such as Halloween, Winter, Valentine’s, 100 Day, Spring Break and end of year.
- Assist teacher to organize special activities, such as field trips.
- May also assist grade group leader to find volunteers to help in the classroom, with various programs, and for school-wide events.
Work in classroom
Volunteers come into the classroom on a regular basis to work directly with students and assist with classroom activities. The time commitment is weekly or bi-weekly, at an established time & duration.
- work with small groups on worksheets or other simple projects while the teacher is working with another group
- read stories
- work one-on-one with students to practice and test sight words, math problems, or other flash cards to supplement lesson material
- Pre-K & Kindergarten: Assist children during Centers time
In school prep
Volunteers commit to come into the school on a regular basis to prepare classroom materials for teachers. The time commitment is weekly or bi-weekly, but can usually be at any time on the assigned day.
- laminating (we will train)
- die cut machine (we will train)
- display children’s artwork on bulletin board or door
From home prep
Volunteers can work from home to complete certain classroom materials. The work should be completed within a couple days, per the teacher’s instructions, and can be returned with child. The time commitment varies, but please let the teacher know immediately if you cannot complete the work on time.
- Cutting multiple items or laminated documents
- Collating & sorting
- Assembling packets
- Organizing Scholastic books order forms
- Assist Media Center Teacher with shelving books
- Help students find and check out books to take home
- Organize Chessie Book Club and Black Eyed Susan reports from children, and keep track of their status
- Assist Art teacher with lesson
- Help control mess!
- Assist teacher while in computer lab
- Help students enter passwords
- Direct students to web pages and guide them with assignments
- Help with equipment
- Help monitor children while outside
- Help children open containers
- Get extra items, such as condiments
- Provide overall help to reign in lunch chaos.
Volunteers will be contacted to help with special classroom activities throughout the year. The commitment on this is generally just the day of the event, or specific planning requirements.
- Field trips
- Classroom parties
- 1st Grade: Flat Stanley
- Class plays
- 5th grade promotion party (organized by the 4th grade)
- 5th grade graduation picnic